Last night we had dinner at our friends, the M's house. They have a 9 month old baby girl. In thinking back on the night, I realize that I did not hold or play with her the whole time we were there. Does that make me a bad person? Here I am, someone who daydreams about having my own child, but yet I hardly acknowledge my friend's child. At one point I thought about picking her up, but I was also holding a glass of really good wine and I didn't want to risk spilling.
The truth is, by nature I am not a kid person. I don't have a lot of experience being around kids, and I'm not one of those people who loves to play with and hang out with other peoples kids at social gatherings. I feel like I'm the kind of person who will grow into being a kid person once I have my own kids. I saw this happen with my sister, she was even less kid friendly than me, and she is now an awesome, doting, stay-at-home mom to her two daughters.
It's an interesting discussion piece, the idea of whether or not kid friendly is an innate behavior, or something that can be learned. I'll have to contemplate this some more.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
I have discovered that the way you feel about or react to other people's kids has absolutely nothing to do with what kind of a person you are or what kind of a mother you'll be. I never could stand kids. I'm still not real fond of them. Yet as I write this my 8-week old daughter is asleep, snuggled in my lap, and I'm about as happy and content as can be.
Post a Comment