Tuesday, July 29, 2008

Borrowing clothes - from myself.

I think that losing weight is a lot like growing your hair out...it's a slow process (and often frustrating, at least if you are as impatient as I am). Months can go by without really noticing a difference, and then one day you look in the mirror and it's like, "hey, my hair has gotten long!" or, "wow, I look a lot thinner now!"

This morning I climbed past our mounting pile of laundry and proceeded to search for something clean to wear. I pulled a pair of black khaki pants out of my drawer and tried them on. Holy cow, they fit! A little snug, but they fit! These pants were purchased last summer and have never been worn, they still had the tags on them. I ordered them last year from Eddie Bauer online, and was too lazy to return them after they were received and too small to wear. This means that I am officially smaller than I was when I got married!

It's funny because as I've lost weight, I've noticed the loss in different places...it seems like you don't necessarily lose it in the order in which it was gained. For instance, the first 15 lbs I lost, I swear it was all from my back. My waist size hardly changed until after I had lost about 20 lbs it started to feel like my pants were a little loose. Now I'm at 30 lbs lost, and I'm definitely much smaller. I notice how loose certain things are. It's a good feeling, and I hope it will give me the motivation to not only continue losing weight, but to work hard to maintain a healthier weight when I am at the size I'd like to be.

I was reading some charts on Weight Watchers (WW) that showed the ranges for healthy, overweight, and obese. As much as it pains me to admit it, before I started doing WW, I was in the obese category. When I think about it I just wonder how I let myself get that heavy. I was always a thin and active person through college. I can blame it on many things, but really the truth is I just wasn't making the best food choices and I wasn't exercising. Now I am merely just "overweight" which seems to be an easier pill to swallow than obese.

One of my biggest motivations for losing the weight is so that I can be at a healthy weight when we start TTC next year. I want to be fit and healthy so that:
A) our fertility will be improved (when we're ready to conceive I don't want to have to wait too long!)
B) I can minimize pregnancy risks associated with being heavier
C) I have myself set up with a good healthy routine to minimize gaining a lot during pregnancy. It's amazing really, I learned recently that pregnant women only need about 300 extra calories a day. None of this eating for two business.

Overall, I feel good and I am really glad that I am doing something about my health. Time for my late afternoon snack - carrots, baby tomatoes, and a string cheese.

No comments: