I took it easy yesterday after returning home from the ER (which really sucked because I badly needed to be at work, but with my hands swollen it hurt to much to do anything requiring my hands). The meds they gave me made me sleepy, so I curled up on the couch to watch tv which inevitably led me to falling asleep. I woke up around 3 with my symptoms returning. My hands were getting more swollen then they'd been to begin with, and I was starting to develop swelling and a rash on the bottoms of my feet (which made it painful to walk). I hadn't really eaten anything but crackers, sprite, and water all day, so we were sure it wasn't something I ate.
Mr.P reminded me that Thursday evening his boss had dropped by with his dog (they live a few blocks away from us). Mr.P's boss and his shepard mix came in our house and hung out for an hour or so, with the dog moving around various spots on the floor near our couch. Was that what was bringing on the symptoms again? My bare feet were on the floor where the dog had been, and my feet began swelling within a few hours of being in that room. At that point I took a shower and relocated myself to the bedroom while Mr.P cleaned/vacumned the living room to remove any sign of dog. I dozed off again in bed, and when I woke later in the evening my puffiness had not subsided. We went out for dinner, and right after we got to the restaurant I began itching like crazy again. Mr.P noticed the rash/hives had developed over my neck, chin, and next to my eye (let me tell you how NOT attractive this looked!)
We went home and called the ER and they suggested I take another dose of the benedryl/zantac they'd given me, and if the symptoms didn't get better to come back in. An hour and a half later I was feeling worse, so we returned to the ER. This time they gave me prednisone in addition to an IV of benedryl. The itchining went away shortly, but the swelling wasn't any better. They kept me there for several hours, and finally they let me go home around 4 AM after they'd run a series of blood tests to check for other issues. This morning I woke up feeling better with my hands looking better (though they hurt like crazy, all the areas that were swollen now have this bruised sensation when I touch them to anything).
I'm going to make an appt tomorrow with my allergy clinic to get some new testing done, and in the meantime I'll be stearing clear of any homes that have dogs/cats. I feel bad because we have many friends who have animals that they love like children. I hope not to offend any of those friends, but until we figure out for sure what caused this severe reaction, I don't want to take any chances.
Sunday, January 4, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment