Friday, January 23, 2009

A boring Friday night.

I'm laying on the couch with an ice pack on my back right now...so I thought it would make sense to write a blog post (nothing like pulling a muscle in your lower back while frosting cupcakes, ha ha. I wish I had a better story for how I hurt my back tonight).

Last weekend we went out for dinner with one of our favorite couple friends, D and V. They have a 1 yr old daughter, and are expecting their second baby this spring. While the guys were talking tech talk, V and I discussed babies. I was surprised to learn that when she had their first baby, she had a totally natural childbirth. That's impressive, especially since she gave birth to a nearly 10 lb baby!

I'll admit, I am kind of a whimp when it comes to pain. When I have my first child, I do not intend to go natural. I'm all about the drugs, specifically the epidural. Sure it involves a spinal tap, but that's a small price to pay for comfortable childbirth.

I also learned that V lost a lot of blood during childbirth and nearly had to have a transfusion. Scary! While blood loss during childbirth is common, losing enough blood to warrent a transfusion is pretty rare, but not outside the realm of possibility. This gave me pause for thought. I can't really explain why, but the thought of someone elses blood being put in me completely freaks me out. I'm a big fan of blood donation, I faithfully donate every 56 days at the Puget Sound Blood Center, and I am happy to be helping other people out by donating my blood. However, I cannot stomach the idea of other people's blood being put in me (unless of course it was a life or death situation). I found out that people are allowed to donate their own blood to be saved for their own surgery/childbirth in case a transfusion is necessary. It costs a small fee, but to me it is worth it. When the time comes, I am seriously going to look into banking my own blood in case it is needed during childbirth.

No comments: