Friday, November 21, 2008

I have to share air with these people?

Mr.P teases me about my slight addiction to people.com (People magazine online). I know, I probably lose precious brain cells each time I read it.

I saw this morning that Ashlee Simpson and Pete Wentz had their baby, a boy named Bronx Mowgli Wentz. Seriously? I'm not a fan of trendy names (like naming kids after cities), but I also don't like harsh sounding combinations. The middle name aside, Bronx Wentz does not flow together. Just another dumb celebrity couple giving their kid a stupid name!

I cringe when I hear most of the names that people are frequently giving children these days. I used to laugh about names I deemed to be "stripper/porn star" names, but even some of those names seem tame in comparison to the rediculous and unusual names of recent years. I really like my name, it is wholesome and traditional. All members of my family and Mr.P's family have what I would consider to be "normal" names with standard spellings (the only exception is one set of cousins who have Hawaiian names given by their father who was raised in Hawaii).

Since we are in the TTC process, we've obviously discussed names at length. Mr.P has a roman numeral after his name (he's the 4th) and I've known since our 3rd date that if we were to have a son, he must be the 5th. As for girls, the first born daughter will be named after my mother. We have a few other names that we like if we have multiple children, and all of those names are traditional and biblical.

I'm also not a fan of creative ways to spell a name. Like Jayden, Jaidon, Jaydyn. When I was a kid I loved to get personalized souveniors on vacations. With funky name spellings, that makes it near impossible for a kid to experience this. One friend who works with newborns in a local hospital joked that she thinks some of the parents are too dumb to spell the name properly on the birth certificate, and that other people think it'll make their kid special if his/her name is spelled differently.

Whatever. I think it's completely stupid, but that's just my opinion!

No comments: