*A small disclaimer: this may be gross. If you can't handle discussing blood or bodily fluids, this post is not for you*
It was only in the past few months that I learned that a period only occurs after a normal menstrual cycle that includes ovulation. If you are anovulatory (like me) when you "get your period" it's not really a period, it's actually called breakthrough bleeding. Breakthrough bleeding is often not as heavy as a period, and it doesn't usually involve all the symptoms one would get with their period (like heavy cramps, bloating, headaches). Women who take hormonal birth control also do not get a period, again, it's just breakthrough bleeding.
After years of hormonal birth control, followed by months of anovulation, I don't really remember what a real period is like.
Until today.
The prescription that I was taking a couple weeks ago (the one that made me nauseas) was a drug called Provera. The purpose for taking it was to bring on a period. Not breakthrough bleeding, but a period to reset my cycle. I asked the doctor about the necessity of taking this as opposed to just waiting for my next breakthrough bleeding cycle, but she assured me that it was important to bring on a true period. My next prescription is an ovulation inducing drug to be taken cycle days 3-7. She said if I did not have a true period, the uterine lining would not be the right thickness to enable pregnancy after the ovulation induction occurs. I'll take her word on that.
The Provera was to trick my body into thinking it had a normal menstrual cycle so that it would bring on an actual period. Since it's been YEARS since I had an actual period, this one is my body's revenge on me. Debilitating cramps, extremely heavy flow, mood swings, bloating....I actually started crying earlier today because I was so miserable.
I would love to climb into a nice warm bathtub, but my tiny ass house only has a shower. When we bought our house I recognized it was technically only a 3/4 bath house, but at the time I didn't think it would be that big of a deal to not have a tub. Hahahaha. Every time I go to my sister's house I look forward to a nice soak in her tub. The next house we buy must have a bathtub.
Tuesday, November 18, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
You are welcome to my bathtub ANY TIME. It's always clean.... :)
Post a Comment