Monday, November 3, 2008

The political phone calls need to stop. Now.

This weekend I received several live (and recorded) phone calls. All reminding me to vote, and asking me to vote for specific candidates. Tonight there were 2 messages on my answering machine reminding me to vote. I get it!

I already mailed in my absentee ballot. Last week.

I even had a visit Saturday morning from a few cheerful democratic volunteers making sure I was going to vote (I stood in the doorway in my PJ's, letting them know I had already mailed in my ballot). They asked if I voted for Obama and Gregoire. I lied and said yes, but actually I did not vote for either.

Here's the thing....

I do not claim to be a democrat or a republican. I consider myself to be a moderate. I actually voted for people from both parties on my ballot. There are issues I care about, but I also heavily vote based off the people running and how I feel about them as people.

My issue with Obama is that I hear a lot of talk, but that's it. I get the same feeling about the guy when I hear him speak as I do when I step onto a used car lot. I just don't feel like he's trustworthy. I take offense to someone who is in their 40's and has already penned 2 memoirs. Really? His life is that important he felt it necessary to write not 1, but 2 books about it?! Also, the guy is a smoker. I'm sorry, but I hate smoking. I think it is a nasty, disgusting, dirty habit, and those who can't break the habit are weak people. Plus, I think it sets a bad example to young people if our future president is a smoker. I was very concerned about the controversy regarding his pastor, Rev Wright, earlier this year. His policies border on socialism, and well, as a tax payer in a high bracket, I don't want to pay more taxes. In younger years I was much more gung ho about social programs, but having worked in the social system and seen how mismanaged money is, and how handouts enable laziness, I've become slightly disillusioned by the system.

*Just now as I write this, a volunteer from Obama's campaign called to remind me to vote for him tomorrow! I told him sorry, I already voted, and when he asked who I voted for, I said John McCain got my vote*

I don't think McCain is perfect, but I feel like he is more honest, and he has the experience I want to see the in the next president. I think Sarah Palin is a joke, and the more I see her speak the more angry I am....personally, I think McCain should've picked Bobby Jindal as his running mate (gov of Louisiana). I cast my vote for the president, and I feel that McCain would be a better president than Obama.

Tomorrow should be an interesting day...

No comments: