Thursday, November 20, 2008

Choosing the red pill or the blue pill?

I started taking vitamins last spring when I started doing Weight Watchers. I bought a big 500 count bottle of multi-vitamins at Costco. This summer when I went off BCP, I was going to switch to a prenatal vitamin, but when I compared the ingredients of the prenatal to the multi I was already taking, the only major difference was that the prenatal had twice the folic acid. So now I take my regular multi-vitamin along with a seperate folic acid supplement to give me the same folic acid that the prenatal would have contained.

But it doesn't stop there. I also take a vitamin D supplement because Mr.P's father is convinced it is the cure for cancer. (Seriously. He showed me all sorts of information and research that showed all the benefits of extra vitamin D, including reduced risk of certain cancers). It couldn't hurt, right? Besides, I'm not really a "hang out in the sun" kind of girl, paired with the fact that I live in a gray and rainy climate, which means I'm already missing out on the natural vitamin D exposure.

Mr.P likes to tease me and call me a pill popper because each night I lay out my vitamins and allergy meds on a little dish on the kitchen counter (so I don't forgot to take them). I take 1 allergy med in the morning, and 2 allergy meds at night, in addition to my 3 vitamin pills that I take in the morning. I suppose it looks like a lot on the little plate. Since we started TTC, I've also got Mr.P taking one of the multi-vitamins each morning. This is actually a big deal because Mr.P is anti-medicine. He won't even take tylenol or ib profin for a headache! It took some convincing to get him to agree to take the vitamin (maybe a little guilt tripping about how the vitamin can improve the quality of his sperm...but that is neither here nor there). Now he willingly takes his vitamin, but on the condition that once we get pregnant he can stop.

Today is cycle day 3...aka, time to start the meds that will induce ovulation. I did a lot of research into this medication before deciding to take it. I definitely did not want to take the most commonly prescribed ovulation med because it has a higher risk of multiples (10% higher than naturally conceiving multiples), and I want to try to keep this process simple. Not that twins wouldn't be lovely (I am a twin!) I just don't think I want to be a first time mother to twins. I'd rather just have one baby for now. My doctor prefers to prescribe the med I'm taking for anovulation because it has less side effects, and that made me feel a little better about taking it.

So as I opened my pill bottle this morning and pulled out my little pill, I thought, "This is it." I felt like Neo on The Matrix, being offered the blue pill to go back to his ordinary life, or the red pill to move forward. My pill is neither blue or red (actually it's yellow). I feel like I could not take it and hope that my body would start ovulating on its own, or I could take it and hope that it works to help us start our family. Not that taking this pill is any big adventure, but it does give me a little sense of panic and excitement to feel like we're moving forward. We'll see what happens in the next few weeks!

1 comment:

Wenikio said...

drum roll please!! :)